Friday 13 January 2012

Soddy

Part of the main pond at Soddy Gap
First of all may I wish every one out there a belated Happy New Year and many of them!!.

A beautiful morning this morning with quite a frost, but the sun was shinning and so decided not to wast it.

I noticed on Bird Guides that the Long Tail Duck was still at Soddy so thought I would give it a go, as can be seen from my last post (a long time ago) I was heading to see it when I got diverted. On arrival at Soddy I scanned the main pool but no sign, but there was a good showing of Goosanders.

Male & female Goosanders, just a few of at least 60+

There was also quite a few Teal about and Wigeon, and I counted 5 Snipe
I also found a female Goldeneye and good numbers of Tufted. There was also a large flock of Canada & Greylag Geese mixed, they later moved on to a nearby field to graze.
       I moved on to the first of the two smaller pools and bingo one female Long-tailed Duck. I had just got my scope and camera set up and squeezed a shot off when it and the 2 tufties it was swimming with got spooked by dogs and took off.

I tried to relocate it but couldn't find it anywhere, so the one poor shot is all I got.

Just a small portion of the flock of geese

There is always at least one on guard.
I started to head back home about 1-30 and as I got near to Penrith I ran into thick mist so I had seen the best of the day as regards the weather.

2 comments:

  1. Really glad you found Soddy Gap. a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one good thing about Soddy Craig, it is consistant. In my oppinion Thacka reserve will never amout to much, too much disturbance.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.