Saturday 24 June 2017

Derwentwater shore, being stalked.

Continuing my walk around the Isthmus, one path brought me to the shore of the lake, and out of the trees I'm back in the full sun, very nice. Also at this point I'm enjoying a very nice and juicy Pear. Now then, you know that feeling when you know someone is watching you, or you think you are being followed, I know spooky , well you wouldn't expect to get that feeling in broad daylight and by the lake shore would you, I did, I just got that feeling, and the next thing a shadow passed over me, and I followed it as it floated silently across the shore in front of me, then suddenly disappearing to blend in with the shadows cast by the trees. At this point I had more or less finished my Pear, and in anticipation of something interesting going to happen, I threw the remains of the pear ahead of me, and in a split second the shadow reemerged onto the shore, and increased in size until shadow and shadow maker became one, and began to devour the remains of my pear.
    The culprit----------------

Carrion crow (Corvus corone)



It became so engrossed in enjoying the juiciness of the pear it didn't notice that the tables had turned, and now I was stalking it, allowing me to get closer.

It must have thought it was its birthday.

Part of the stringy stalk hanging out of its mouth.

Going down a treat.

There was no rushing or gulping down, it just seemed to be taking its time and savouring the moment.



Yum Yum.

As the last went down it looked at me as if to say that was good any more.

Later when I rejoined the Lads at the workshop and related to what I had just witnessed, they said , oh yes if we sit outside for lunch  a pair of Crows sit in the trees above us watching and waiting for any scraps. That then explained the stalking.
     Don't forget to click on photo to enlarge, hope you enjoyed.

39 comments:

  1. Wonderful series of images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking in Rajesh.
      All the best Gordon.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog Gordon and leaving a lovely message.
    Crows are such intelligent birds, here in Perth we have loads of them and in outdoor eateries they wait until people leave their tables to pounce on uneaten food. My son told us when he was at university, during lunch time he would observe crows around the rubbish bins opening boxes of take-away food and even drinking from overturned cans. Great set of photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sami and thank you for your interesting comments.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  3. Great! Wonderful!
    Maybe all us birders should carry a piece of fruit to get some good close-up photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Lea, as long as everthing gets eaten I don't see the harm.
      Have a good one Gordon.

      Delete
  4. Prachtig Gordon z,on mooie serie van een kraai dat zie je niet zo vaak en zeker niet zo close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo, ik weet dat ik het fruit de truc vond.
      All the best, Gordon

      Delete
  5. Hello, nice story and series of crow photos. I would not like the feeling of being stalked. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thank you for dropping by and your comments.
      Have a good week to come.Gordon.

      Delete
    2. Hello Gordon, Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Eileen, alaways a preasure.
      Have a good week , Gordon.

      Delete
  6. I love to watch crows. They are so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and like all the crow family very clever.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  7. Hi Gordon, what beautiful images of the crow, especially the last one! Thanks for sharing. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo, good of you to say so , much appreciated.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  8. Every bit of that pear was enjoyed by you both!
    A great post and photos Gordon - really enjoyed it :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the best part Sue nothing was wasted,
      Thank you for looking in, take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  9. Clever bird! I can't help but like crows of all types.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart , thought you would be busy packing by now. They certainly are a facinating family of birds.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  10. Hi Gordon

    That is a stunning osprey in your banner. My brother in law and I are supposed to put up a nesting platform. He dragged the post out to the slough in the winter and I built the platform, things have broken down around who digs the hole.

    All the best
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can work somthing out before the next nesting season.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  11. Seems it is so hungry, so that it picked it as soon u throw. Nice build-up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeevan, thank you for your comment.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  12. Wow !! Such beautiful images of the crow !! I love watching crows !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ela, glad you think so, thanks for looking in.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  13. Such a lucky crow! :-) A yummy pear sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lucky Crow, and lucky me for being able to watch it.
      Have a god week, Gordon.

      Delete
  14. You had me worried there for a mo Gordon. Still, we all know that the crow family are good learners. Didn't know they were partial to a pair though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Phil, I think they are like a lot of birds when it comes to food, very opportunistic.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  15. Hello Gordon!:) We often don't realize we are being watched by birds, and other creatures for that matter. Crows are opportunists and such clever birds. Great shots, even better when I clicked on the images.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments you are so right.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  16. I think it is entirely fitting that this very wise bird got to share in your pear! I am sure had you recognized the stalker earlier you would left a little more for the crow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, may be ,may be not, I was enjoying it too much.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  17. Gordon - thank you for visiting me at Harmony Hills. Yours crow photos are amazing. They say these birds are highly intelligent. Bet you may be sharing your scraps again soon. Take care and have a delightful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for visiting and also for your mail.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  18. I love the line that he was 'savoring the moment'! And the photos are all wonderful, but I must admit that close up at the end just steals the show!! Awesome Gordon.

    Thanks, again, for always sharing this birding experience with us at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Anni , and thank you for your kind comment,
      Have a good week, Gordon.

      Delete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.