Thursday 19 January 2012

Ones better than none

Mrs W needed the car this morning so took the Westies for a quick walk round the block, then after doing some jobs and a quick cuppa, I decided to make the most of the sun before the rain came in.  
     So heading out with the camera and bins I headed for the Thacka nature reserve. Not a great deal about as usual, Black-headed Gulls were the greatest numbers of anything, Moorhens coming a close second with at
 least 13, there would be more in the vegetation. The Little Grebe is still with us, and there was a few Mallard about


 Little Grebe at a distance, sharing the pool with a Moorhen.



I had a walk round the old pond but there was nothing on there, I then decided to head up the railway path. The first thing I came across was a small party of House Sparrows sharing a bush with a few Chaffinch and enjoying the sun.

One of a couple of little old bridges spanning Thacka beck









The feeder that Roy has put up by the railway was doing a good trade, with good numbers of Great & Blue tits, also good numbers of Chaffinch. Then looking through my camera lens I fleetingly pick up a Brambling, luckily I fired a shot off because it flew off immediately. this is the only one I have seen this winter so far.

One Brambling, a little camera shy.
I have decided for the first time to do  a year list, and I didn't think Brambling was going to be on it. I don't anticipate my list being very long by the end of the year, as I'm not one for twitching long distance, but just thought it would be interesting for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.