Wednesday 8 January 2014

Common Gull, Larus canus
The SUN shone today wow!!!, while other part of the country still suffered more rain and more flooding, at least we had a respite from the onslaught. So I decided to have a walk round the patch to see what was about. firstly I walked round the Thacka beck reserve, and as expected the water levels where very high, there was the usual dozen or so Mallard, and also a good mix of gulls. These included Common gull, Black-headed gull, and Herring Gull.


Common Gull

Common Gull


A small group of Black-headed Gulls flying over the the reserve.
Some time was spent covering the sedge looking for snipe, but the water level was too high for them, the only thing I picked up was this lone----

Teal, found where I would hope to find snipe.
I continue my wonder heading in the direction of the big hedge, some kind person had put seed on the path, which was attracting quite a few Chaffinch.

Male Chaffinch
Another Male.
Next I walked the top track, nothing found till I reached the Flash, which at the moment is looking more like a small lake, here I found another gathering of gulls, again in a mixed flock.

This is just a small section of the flash, quite amazing considering it was drained a couple of years ago
Linking to Stewarts Wild bird Wednesday---http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.co.uk/

12 comments:

  1. I take credit for the seed haha, nice views of Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting there earlier today :)

    James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flying gulls shots are so pretty. Enjoyed seeing birds from your part of the world. Yay for sun. We finally got sun this week, but BRRRR it is cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how pleasing it would've been to be able to get out - I love the term 'patch' I think is kind of unique to your side of the world. Really liking the chaffinch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Down here in Australia it's more noteworthy if the sun DOESN'T shine at this time of year!! And while they're a different species (I think), it looks like gull behaviour is the same the world over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's full marks for trying at the moment Gordon as this weather is not helping to find many birds anywhere. Roll on the summer and sunshine we hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Flash is definitely growing into a Lake now, not surprising considering what I've been reading about your weather. I never thought about scattering seed like that during the winter; it does seem like a kind thing for someone to do and I hope the person who did it saw a lot of birds. The ones you saw are lovely and I'd be happy with that birding day (sometimes being an amateur has its rewards --- I'm easier to please!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gordon. Great shots of the Gulls but I really love that Vhaffinch photo the best. I usually take seed with me although sometimes I forget to put it in my pocket and it is left in the car. Always carry seed in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the gulls. I don't think I've seen the sun for weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your kind and interesting comments, they truely are appreciated.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the shot of the gulls in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you again, everyone.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.