Thursday 10 May 2012

Grouse with attitude

Pied Wagtail
Well the weather here in Cumbria is pretty dismal and not conducive to going out, but still can't avoid getting wet. Firstly had to take the car in to the garage for its MOT and walk back home , that was the first soaking. then out with the Westies, second soaking, and this will have doubled by the end of the day.
   So I decided to post on yesterdays activities. I went for a ride round in the car stopping off continuously to scan the topography in the hope of finding another year list tic, however this wasn't to be.
    I set off along the A66 heading for Brough then chucking a left and up into Teesdale, the sun was shinning and when I had gained some height it was just great listening to the bird song. Curlews where the predominant bird as regards song. The call of the Curlew  and the Great Northern Diver in Scotland are the 2 birds that represent the true "call of the wild" it can make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
          I couldn't resist this handsome Pied Wagtail as he perched on a lime-stone wall.

A smart looking bird.
There was also an abundance of Lapwings and I managed to capture this one having a tug-of-war with an earth worm.

There is only going to be one winner.
Just before I left the county of Durham and back into Cumbria I came across this Red Grouse with attitude.

Red Grouse

They are quite a smart bird.
 Here it  was using fowl language to make me go away.
Their call really puts a smile on my face.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! The Pied Wagtail is quite lovely as is the Grouse. He looks like he is speaking to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Tammy, yes the call of the Red Grouse is quite funny, at least I think so. http://www.rspb.org.uk/ If you pop into this web site and go into the birds and wildlife dropdown, then birds by name. you should be able to hear its call.
      Thanks again, and all the best Gordon.

      Delete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.