Sunday 11 March 2012

Not good on the West coast.

The day started off with an early morning walk with the Westies taking them up to Cowraik NR. On entering the reserve we were greeted by a Great-spotted woodpecker  hammering away, but as usual for this wood there was very little about apart from the commoner stuff.
       By 10 ish I was making my way over to the West coast, but things didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. I was going over in the hope the Glaucous Gull was still around, well there wasn't many gulls around period so no sign of the Glaucous. Also I had left the sun back in the East of the county, and there was a pretty nippy wind blowing.

A small party of Redshanks braving the wind and tide.

Juvenile Herring Gull.

Black-headed Gull with his summer suite on.
I slowly made my way North keeping an eye on the beach for anything that moved, but there was very little. Parking up at Skinburness I walked to Grune Point, seeing a few Skylarks on the way and also a few Twite. A thousand or more Pinkfeet where heading North it will be a hell of a lot colder where they are heading for. As the tide neared its height the wader roost built up, and a large raft of Scaup drifted up one of the creeks.

Skinburness life boat practising

Skylark with white ring on left leg

Came across this Buzzard perch on a hedge.


Same Buzzard, now being mobbed by 2 Fieldfares

Large areas of Grune are covered in Gorse, most of it in bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.