Wednesday 8 February 2012

A Glossy, A Marsh, A Rail.

Keen frost again this morning, and the sun was up and about early, and so was I . A quick breakfast, a short walk with the dogs, and then I was off to Leighton Moss.
      First stop the causeway and public hide, and as soon as I walked in I got Marsh Harrier. Generally there wasn't much knocking about as every where is froze solid. I called in at the centre and after a while found Marsh Tit.

Marsh Tit

Marsh Tit in the marsh
Two more year ticks and the day was looking good, so I decided to push my luck a bit further and see if the Ibis that I mist last time would be showing today. Parking the car by the canal I walked back to the grazing fields where it is usual seen. At first I thought my luck was out again, then suddenly it appeared in a field further down the road, bingo, year tick and life tick in one go.
         There was nothing doing at the marsh hides, again nothing but ice. So on foot I made my way over to Jenny-brown-point in the hope there might be Great Crested Grebe about, but although there was plenty on show no grebe. On my way over there I slipped on some snow-ice, my main concern was my equipment, but every thing seams OK. My left wrist took a bit of a knock and didn't bother me much at the time, but since I've been home its become very sore and aching. I'm not one for pain killers but when needs must.
So with one hand I will continue. Before going home I thought I would give Lillian's hide another go on the off chance a Water Rail would ingratiate itself for my lens. I had been in the hide 10 mins or so when my last tick of the day crept out of the reeds, fantastic.

Glossy Ibis

Look at the size of the feet on this thing

Coots having to graze

Again large feet for small bird.

Water Rail.

What a fantastic day, one of the best I've had at Leighton.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos! Love the Water Rail, so beautiful! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Tammy, our Water Rail is a very secretive bird and hard frost, like we are getting at the moment, tends to be the best chance of catching them in the open. So I was pleased just to have seen it, only my second sighting !!
      However after seeing your pic I think I need to upgrade my equipment.
      Thanks again for your kind remarks, Gordon.

      Delete
  2. Thankyou for that Faylinn, you are very kind.

    ReplyDelete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.