Wednesday 21 July 2010

Thacka and the flood in the SUN

Small Tortoiseshell
                                 
The day got off to a poor start, cloudy and miserable, but as the day progressed the weather improved and soon after lunch the sun got out and the rest of the day was my kind of weather, sun and lots of it.
       I decided it was too good to miss, so with camera and binocs in hand I set off walking heading for Thacka.
       Its the first time we have had such warm sun for quite a while and the area was teeming with Small Tortoiseshell, the camera going into over drive. I've been keeping clear of the flood lately because a load of gypoes have taken up residence right near the right of way so its not that pleasant. Today however was different because from a distance I could see there was some larger waders which needed closer inspection, and bingo 12 Black-tailed Godwits, everything else seemed to pale into insignificance as this was just brilliant for our little patch. However there was also 29 Oystercatchers ,this is the largest count I have had on there. Also juvenile Redshank, over 50 Lapwing.
Black-tailed Godwit

In the evening I took my Daughter out for a driving lesson, and while she was driving through Hackthorpe I spotted over 200 Swallows perched on a  telephone wire. A terrific sight.


       

No comments:

Post a Comment

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.