Thursday 8 June 2017

Cornwall, Rick Stein reaches out to new customers

And so the road trip continues, after leaving St. Ives I persuaded the good looking one to call in at RSPB Hale estuary and the near by area, as this is another top birding site for Cornwall, really, at first glance not a bird in sight, we walk round to the hide , obviously this is where all the action will be, do I detect a sneer on the good looking ones face as she asks "are you sure this is the right place" we  find nothing from the hide, the only movement being the clouds overhead. We leave the hide and a few  yards down the track meet a fellow birder, anything about I ask , no haven't seen a thing says he with his waking great lens, you are about to says I , there's  a Heron behind you, and it was true, about twenty yards down the track a Heron had just landed by a ditch and was going into stalking mode. The gentleman set off at a pace to grab some shots as if this was the only bird left on the planet , and he had to prove there had been one, at this point we headed back to the car, my Daughter muttering something about "I thought there was suppose to be loads of birds here" , I just got in the car and waited for the engine to start, and added Heron to a very short list of birds I had seen.
                  We gave Newquay a miss preferring to avoid as many tourists as possible, and called in at Padstow instead. Now for those that don't know, Padstow is home to one of Rick Stein's fish restaurants (He has a few) He being a famous TV chef and personality. We walked by his place but kept hold of our money , we needing it more than He, but apparently He gives some of His clientele free handouts. ------------


Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) and Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) who is going to get to the goodies first.

The verbal sparing starts to build.

Someone called for back-up but it didn't work out.

There can only be one winner.

Welcome to Rick Stein's my friend, enjoy.
The next port of call did my knee in , stay tooned!!.

39 comments:

  1. Hello, I have been to a few of these birding spots where the birds were missing. I guess it is bad timing. Love the gulls, I hope people are not throwing their trash around. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, I think some lazy people still do.
      Have a good dat, Gordon.

      Delete
  2. I hope the winner gets to eat the fish and chips. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for Dropping by Nancy
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  3. Now that day was not going too well so I wonder what tomorrow will bring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, you will have to wait and see.
      All the best Gordon.

      Delete
  4. When my wife and I moved from the desert to central Florida and first experienced laughing gulls, we chortled like fools. I love em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I enjoyed the Laughing Gulls in Florida.
    All the best Goron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very enjoyable instalment of your travels! Lucky gulls to dine for free - I'm sure they'd even pull the packages out of the bins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, I know thats what they do.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  7. great captures of the gulls - they sure can be chatty kathy's!!! i have seen them steal food from peoples hand in our area, they are quite braisen here in new jersey, but i guess that is the case everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thank you for your comment, I suppose they could have this habit world wide.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  8. Ha Gordon. You had me going there thought you had splashed out at Rick Stein's. I actually think he's one of the better TV chefs and if i'd been don there would have tried his fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Phil, I'm afraid i'm not a lover of cheap TV.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  9. Great shots of the gull with the container from Rick Stein's Fish & Chips; gulls love those french fries. I remember reading something many moons ago about a study the government was funding to research the effect of fried foods on seagulls. Do you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, in this day and age I can believe anything.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  10. Gulls are interesting birds. If you have food, they will take it. Once we were in a parking lot and a small child drop a french fry and a bunch of them were right on it and fought for whatever they could get. Those are some wonderful gull photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking in Bill, we didn't see much of it in Cornwall, but have witnessed it in South Wales.
      Thanks again, Gordon.

      Delete
  11. Great photos of the Gulls!
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seagulls and their antics never fail to amuse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanl you for looking in, and your comments.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete
  13. I think that a Great Black-backed Gull is going to win every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David I think I have to agree on that one.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Morning Bob , thanks for that,
      Hope all is going well, Gordon.

      Delete
  15. I'd stick around for free handouts too. And isn't it disappointing when there are 'no birds' as promised? I too would avoid any big tourist areas.

    Great gull photos Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni good to hear from you as always.
      Have a good weekend, Gordon.

      Delete
  16. Hello Gordon, I just wanted to stop back and say thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday! Wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Eileen.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great to visit this site and see these lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rajesh, very kind of you.
      All the best, Gordon.

      Delete
  19. Wonderful photos of the seagulls ~ Being from Cape Ann MA, I think gulls are fascinating and so many varieties ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couln't agaree with you more.
      Thank you so much for your comment, Gordon.

      Delete
  20. Sorry about the lack of birds in Cornwall. We've been watching Poldark, a series based on a book by the same name, and really enjoying it. It is set in Cornwall, and I think filmed there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my Daughter and I watch Poldark,and a new series starts tonight.
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  21. Hihi .... those seagulls really really eat everything !!!!
    Your chin is right to make some nice pictures :-)
    Nice advertisement for Rick Stein's Fish & Chips hihi ....

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  22. Smiles! Don't know Rick Stein.... sounds like I haven't missed too much.... but he makes the gulls happy obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right on both counts Sallie, LOL. He does the same as a lot of other people, cheap TV.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.