Thursday 20 February 2014

A ride up to the SOLWAY

As usual my timing was slightly out, because when I arrived on the Solway the tide was coming in, but not yet at the stage where it was pushing the waders up the shore. So each time I stopped, there was only the occasional Oystercatcher, or Curlew, I managed to pick up a few Ringed plover at one stop, but all where too far out to photograph. Even when you park up at Campfield Marsh the RSPB reserve where they have created a scrape, it too far out for the lens.
   As it happened the scrape was quite busy, with up to a 100 Teal showing, a couple of Shell Duck, one Little Egret, and a few Mallard. Had I had the scope with me, its possible I could have found Snipe too, as there is usually a few on the edge of the sedge.
    While I was stood there a car pull up, full of what I took to be birders, they asked if there was anything about, and I relayed what I had found. And also mentioned the large flock of geese I could see in the distance, too far out to ID but could guess that they where Barnies. They in turn said there was a large flock of Barnies (Barnacle Geese) further on at Cardurnock with a couple of Snow Geese with them.

This is just a fraction of the whole flock, and another flock beyond the hedge, possibly 5000 or more in total.
 I scanned the whole flock for the Snow Geese but all I could find was 2 leusistic geese. so I could only think the guys I saw earlier had mistakenly thought these where Snow Geese, they would be 5 to 6 hundred yards away.

One of the leusistic geese just showing, the other is below the bank.
I've made this a bit larger, the Barnacle marking still showing through the white, and also a black bill, whereas a Snow Goose has an Orange bill and would be pure white apart from black outer primaries.
They are an awesome sight in flocks so large, I never thought to put the wide angle lens on, (plonker)





9 comments:

  1. Beautiful flocks of birds, and the Snow Goose????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cool to see a large flock like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 teal? Wow, that's impressive. I'd love to see a snipe. Try to get that next time, okay? *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Gordon What a large amount of geese. Must have been wonderful to see that number.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank for visiting my blog and for commenting. I invite you to follow along if you like. I'm signing on to follow your blog. I like your presentation and your photography. Your Osprey Header photo is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. geweldig zoveel op een veld.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely shots of the geese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great place to see birds - I have had some wonderful trips around the Solway - good viewing around Caerlaverock on the Scottish side of the boarder.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.